Wednesday, June 3, 2009

My First Fondant Cake

So here it is, the real inspiration for starting this blog - my first fondant cake! I've been a big fan of baking for years and have always loved making cakes. For Matt's last birthday, I decided to try my hand at a carved cake in the shape of an acoustic guitar. I loved it, but the buttercream icing was tedious, and I felt like I could have decorated with much more detail had I used fondant. But fondant also seemed...scary.

I started doing research to better understand the do's and don'ts of fondant. Duff makes it look easy on "Ace of Cakes," but I knew better than to believe that. I started pricing out all the tools and gadgets I would need to get started, and it was just too pricey to do off the cuff. So...I made a request for my birthday, and my mom and my brother came through BIG TIME. They stocked me with all the supplies a girl could want...and then my grandmother cleaned out her cupboard to give me all of her old shaped pans. You should have seen my happy dance!

I decided it would be "safe" to try out the first cake for myself. Yes, I made my own birthday cake. Actually...Matt and I made it together. He is very artistic, so he is a big help with the free-handed stuff! We had a blast...made some freshman mistakes...but the sign of a good baker/decorator is the ability to improvise and "fix" those mistakes (so I have learned). I was so thrilled with the final result and am ready to make tons more now! So...with no further ado, here is the first cake...

First, the inspiration - my new birdy necklace that Matt gave me that I adore (I like to call her "fat chick"):

And the cake with a fat chick topper:





I am now searching for any and every excuse to make a cake...so watch out!

8 comments:

  1. Ok, that might be the cutest cake I have ever seen. I am totally hiring you for my next cake need.

    In fact you can begin concepting a Twilight Cake for my b-day in November. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the cake; it looks fantastic! You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, I love that cake! what a great birthday treat for yourself. Doug and I went and shopped at Williams and Sonoma last weekend. Boy, you could break the bank. But we saw lots of things for the kitchen we liked and then went and bought it at Bed Bath and Beyond. Good times in the kitchen. I think I like the food network as much as HGTV. have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Natalie!!!!!!!!!! Amazing!!! Will you make my birthday cake next year!?
    ; )

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad you are starting the blog. I love to see what you will create next.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is gorgeous, Natalie! Well done! I'm very impressed.

    J-Fro

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job! As sad as it was to cut into that cute cake, it was so tasty...way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't wait to see our red and blue version of the bird cake!!!

    ReplyDelete