Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Make Way for Ducklings

Do you guys remember that book? I LOVED it in elementary school! My favorite librarian (and surrogate mother) would be proud to know that. It was one of those books that had a big, gold seal on the front from winning a fancy award - you knew it had to be good! In fact, I'm thinking I might need to grab a copy to read over and over to Baby Costner. (BTW, if you didn't already know, Matt and I will have a new family addition as of June 3rd!)

You are probably wondering why I'm using my cake blog to review children's literature, but I assure you it has a point. A few weeks back, Matt and I made a special birthday cake for his aunt. She is an avid duck hunter, as is her entire family, and she has been one of our biggest supporters as we've started this cake-making venture. From the start, she kept joking about wanting a duck cake for her birthday when it rolled around. And we couldn't resist! We loved making the fish before, so we were thrilled to have a similar challenge on hand.

Matt and I both agree that this one was the most fun so far to make! Everything from start to finish ran smoothly with no hiccups or unexpected results. I think Mallards are just gorgeous, too, so we had a lot of fun looking at photos and getting our color inspiration. Hope you enjoy!



PS - Do take note of the two bands on the duck's feet. This was the feature of the cake for our aunt...she even saved the feet after we ate the cake! You see, she is the only one in the family to have earned the bragging rights from catching a duck with two bands around his feet. Quite an accomplishment in the world of duck hunting!

PPS - I had to go find an image of the book while I was at this! Memory lane is so fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment